When putting together a commercial truck insurance program, it may be easy to overlook coverage that protects your business operations. With a wave of high-profile litigation related to the owner-operator model, it may be time to consider coverage to properly protect your business.
An Employment Practices Liability policy (EPLI) is a good place to start, though it’s important to ensure coverage is adequate for independent contractor exposures. A typical EPLI policy provides coverage for claims alleging wrongful termination, discrimination, harassment, and other workplace issues. Even if a claim is illegitimate, the cost to defend an employment practices lawsuit often runs in the tens of thousands of dollars. There is a wide variation between policies, so here are some questions you should ask prior to purchasing coverage:
• Are claims brought by independent contractors included in coverage?
• Are employment status misclassification claims covered?
• Does the insurance company provide any support services?
• Does the insurance company have a “duty to defend” my company?
• Can I select my own attorney or do I have to use the insurance company’s counsel?
Along with our commercial truck insurance professionals, the Daniel & Henry Company has a Management Liability practice team that can help assist you in obtaining EPLI coverage that fits your company’s structure. Contact Danny Clayton at 1-877-406-5915 to discuss how to best protect your company’s bottom line.